Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tough as a Mudder


In 2010 a new event popped onto the adventure race scene called Tough Mudder. Billed as the "Toughest Event on the Planet" the Tough Mudder drew immediate attention and sold out their first event within a couple weeks (which I was luckily a participant). The Tough Mudder is a 10-12 mile obstacle course designed to test all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie. Thousands attended the first event hopeful for a true challenge, a test of character, and for some just a good old time in the mud.

I, for one, thought it would be hilarious to run such an event as I was on a 4-5 year hiatus from any kind of workout. On top of that I saw there was free beer, a tough mullet contest, free tattoo, costume contest, and the kicker: this video which after my first viewing caused me to die laughing and immediately sign up.


I got a text the next day by my cousin (he told me about the Tough Mudder) to find out if I wanted to do it. I replied: 
 Years from now laying in my bed i'll be thinking would i trade all the days from this day to that for one chance - just one chance - to prove I'm a tough mudder? I'm in!
I immediately saw my text on his facebook just minutes later. Thief! Tough Mudder promised blood sweat and beer and I was going to collect.



The first event was a great time. Did it live up to the the "Tough" title? Not really but it was a hell of a good time especially for the very first event this small, now booming, company was running. The only logical course of action was to do another one and expect, with time, the event would get better and better. We immediately signed up for one a few months later which promised to be more exciting because the course was longer (5 miles became 12 miles), the obstacles were tougher and more ridiculous (running through live electrical wires), and it was in the middle of November! (there were water obstacles despite this fact)



Our 2nd Tough Mudder event truly lived up to the name and truly delivered. The event despite being just a few months after the first Tough Mudder was a drastic improvement and garnered amazing reviews by organizations such as Travlete who named the Tough Mudder the best adventure race of 2010. The "Press Room" on the Tough Mudder site chronicles their reviews and the evolution of the company and event.



It is coming up on a year since Tough Mudder began their operations and they are already making profits as a company and have become the largest contributor to the Wounded Warrior Project, which helps support injured servicemen and women who have sustained injuries abroad, via fund raising from Tough Mudder events. Their events have gone from a questionably tough first event to a series of undoubtedly tough events which include 14 separate events in 2011 and will see Tough Mudders in Canada, Japan, UK, and Australia by the end of 2012.

Tough Mudder will only continue to grow and improve and I will be along for the ride with them. I plan to do 2-3 this year and looking forward to the first of my series coming this April. I figure I will use the event as a focus to keep me in shape and as a yearly gauge to my fitness level and sense of humor. If I am no longer laughing at the course they are probably no longer getting more difficult.  

I would hate to end the post without a shameless plug so here is my donations page for the Wounded Warrior Project! Please help support this cause and I will continue to risk my body for those who have risked their lives. For more Tough Mudder goodness check out ToughestMudder where you will find information on training, experiences, gear information, and general information from various participants including  "My Story".

No comments:

Post a Comment