Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sounds Like Life



Looking back at some of my favorite movies and games there seems to be a common thread. The music. I didn't really realize it until recently when I watched Inception. I sat through the movie constantly thinking wow this music is amazing. Hans Zimmer has to be one of the absolute best composers on the planet and my absolute favorite piece of music he has composed is "Time".



 Another huge standout for me is the main theme from one of my all time favorite movies "Last of the Mohicans" by Trevor Jones. The end scene of that movie is one of my favorite scenes in any movie and with the music, is the definition of epic.


 "Your Hand in Mine (Goodbye)"  by Explosions in the Sky really defined "Friday Night Lights" which became one of my favorite sports movies right along with "Rudy" and the theme by Jerry Goldsmith.





And lets not forget the tremendous scene at the end of "Heat" punctuated by Moby's "God Moving over the Face of the Waters"  


 


My favorites in the world of gaming are also supported by tremendous soundtracks as well.The Halo franchise has "Halo Theme (Mjolnir Mix)" composed by Martin O'Donnell who also composed pretty much all of the music for the series. All the music is great but the theme defines Halo.




As good as the Halo music is I believe it has now been surpassed in the series which is probably now my favorite - Mass Effect. The music by Jack Wall is ridiculous and the main trailer music for Mass Effect 2 is the BEST! It's a song called "Heart of Courage" by a group called Two Steps from Hell who have composed some of the best epic trailer music in movies and games.




 Every one of these songs resonates very strongly with me and contributes to who I am as they have served as sources of inspiration and motivation for many of my actions and decisions. Our lives are a series of moments and those moments can be defined by a single piece of music. I've found some of my moments in these songs. That said, I leave you with this...


2 comments:

  1. While I am not a Trent Reznor fan by any stretch of the imagination, the score for "The Social Network" is some amazing stuff. His orchestration of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" is especially good, even better when watched with the scene during which it plays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the music brings you back to a specific time in life....avril=camping. lol

    ReplyDelete